SMOHIT MEDICAL SCREENING PROGRAM ADDS NEW TEST FOR DETECTING LUNG CANCER EARLY
DID YOU KNOW?
- Lung cancer is the #1 cause of death from cancer in the U.S.
- Lung cancer is the #2 cause of death in sheet metal workers.*
- A quick and simple medical test is now available that can prevent deaths from lung cancer – low-dose chest CT scanning.
- Without screening, the majority of lung cancers are found at a late stage, when cure is unlikely.
- With low dose CT screening, lung cancer is usually found at an early, curable stage.
*Welch L, Dement J, West G. Mortality among sheet metal workers participating in a respiratory screening program. Apr;58(4):378-91
Beginning in August 2019, SMOHIT will join forces with screening experts from Queens College to offer a low-dose chest CT scan to eligible sheet metal workers.
The purpose of low-dose CT (LDCT) screening is to find lung cancer at an early stage when it is treatable. This screening test is for individuals who are considered to be at an elevated risk for lung cancer, based on age, work history, smoking history and other risk factors.
The low-dose CT scan is painless, quick, and free of charge to you.
If you are interested in participating, call toll-free, 1-866-228-7226, to find out if you are eligible for lung cancer screening.?
To provide the LDCT, SMOHIT will make arrangements with local radiology facilities. The timing of these arrangements will coincide with the scheduling and invitation for the five-year SMOHIT physical exam. ?Please note, however, you can call to express interest and see if you are eligible at any time.
Click on the link below to see when your local’s next medical screening will take place.? This will also tell you when, if eligible, you will be able to schedule your LDCT scan appointment at the radiology facility designated for your local area.
Also, if you are eligible for the LDCT, you can have the low-dose CT scan and participate in the routine SMOHIT exam, or you can have the CT scan without participating in the SMOHIT exam.
EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES!